Articles
-
Mills in Fontmell Magna
MILLS IN FONTMELL MAGNA Mills have been recorded in Fontmell Magna for at least 1000 years. They were Water Mills powered by the Fontmell Brook, a tributary of the River Stour. The Domesday Survey (1086) recorded three mills in the manor and these are almost certainly the Higher, Middle and Lower mills: HIGHER MILL The…
-
Blandford’s Farm Fontmell Magna
Blandford’s Farm is situated in West Street. It was not part of the Glyn Estate but when it was built and by who is not recorded nor is the acreage. The Chick family records reveal that Thomas Chick moved to a cottage in Parsonage Street and was joined by his son William (1830-1906) in the1850s.…
-
Coronation Celebrations
1936 had been a bad year for the country. In January, the Prince of Wales had acceded to the throne of England as King Edward VIII and then in December, having declared his love for a woman called Wallace Simpson, had abdicated. It had been a roller coaster ride since the great sadness of losing…
-
The Clothing Club
The middle of the 19th century was a time of increasing population in Fontmell Magna, reaching a peak of 875 residents in 1861. During this period of growth the village began to form groups dedicated to social welfare amongst which were the Clothing Club and the Coal Club. The account book we have shows the…
-
Fontmell Magna in 1915
Although it was the early days of the Great War, life in Fontmell Magna continued as normally as possible but always overshadowed by many of the young men enlisting to fight and some of them losing their lives. The Rifle Club continued to meet under the Presidency of Capt. R.F. Glyn (who was on duty…


